J‑PAL Southeast Asia
J-PAL Southeast Asia, which is based at the University of Indonesia, supports researchers undertaking randomized evaluations in the region; trains and builds the capacity of local researchers to conduct randomized evaluations; and disseminates research results and collaborates with policymakers to integrate findings into current and future development policies and programs.
In the Philippines, researchers conducted a randomized evaluation to measure the impact of an evangelical Protestant religious values and theology education program on individuals' economic and subjective wellbeing.
Executive Director Rachel Glennerster shares lessons learned for moving from effective research to action from J-PAL’s nearly two decades of work, including the example of Generasi from Indonesia.
Researchers conducted a randomized evaluation with the Indonesian government that compared self-targeting to automatic screening in the context of a conditional cash transfer program. Requiring households to apply for a cash transfer program in Indonesia discouraged rich households from seeking out benefits and identified a relatively poorer group of beneficiaries.
When resources are constrained, how can governments ensure that they are delivering social protection programs in the most cost-effective way? Researchers partnered with the Indonesian government to design and test how identification cards affected program outcomes. View a recording of Bambang Widianto and Rema Hanna discussing this research partnership and its policy implications.
There are 48 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 10 countries in Southeast Asia.
Referring to this year’s theme that highlights on collective efforts, read one the ongoing evaluation studies by J-… https://t.co/xYc1OVXvcw
“Ready to Beat Malaria?” is this year’s theme for #worldmalariaday. The theme as declared by the WHO, reflects ‘col… ...
We're looking for another Research Associate to be supporting research projects in Indonesia led by Dr. Rema Hanna… https://t.co/iRORPHwoVI
RT @JPAL_Global: Meet the four exceptional researchers who recently joined J-PAL's affiliate network: https://t.co/tygqn7IaXf...
As we are approaching #worldmalariaday, read on how bednets have helped reduce malaria cases worldwide.
- Meet the four exceptional researchers who recently joined J-PAL's affiliate network: https://j-p.al/2Fa24Ot 1 day 13 hours ago.
- We're hiring a Policy and Research Associate to work with our Executive Director at our Global office in Boston. Know any talented recent grads? Please share! More info at j-p.al/2voy8OZ. 6 days 13 hours ago.
- Are you designing or implementing a youth employment program in Latin America? Learn how to use impact evaluations to test and improve program effectiveness in our new Spanish-language incubator course in Santiago: https://j-p.al/2v8L6Aw. 1 week 4 days ago.
- Ed tech competition, research on summer jobs and crime, and more. Catch up on the latest J-PAL newsletter: j-p.al/2HgyGcg 2 weeks 4 days ago.
- Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) shared their live video. Starting now: GiveWell's Elie Hassenfeld on making donor dollars count - watch via Facebook Live below! 2 weeks 6 days ago.