J‑PAL Southeast Asia
J-PAL Southeast Asia, based at the University of Indonesia, leads J-PAL’s work in the Southeast Asia region. J-PAL Southeast Asia conducts randomized evaluations, builds partnerships for evidence-informed policymaking, and helps partners scale up effective programs.
Our work spans a wide range of sectors, including social welfare, migration, health, good governance, and financial inclusion. We conduct capacity building activities for policymakers, researchers, and academics seeking to learn and apply rigorous impact evaluation, and work with central and local governments to help build a culture of evidence-informed decision-making in the region.
In Indonesia, researchers are conducting a randomized evaluation of the Transparency for Development (T4D) program. Equipped with a community scorecard that details local health problems and barriers to receiving healthcare, community activists will formulate and undertake social actions to address these barriers to accessing high-quality maternal and neonatal healthcare.
Research by Abhijit Banerjee, Rema Hanna, Jordan Kyle, Ben Olken, and Sudarno Sumarto finds that distributing a simple card explaining a government aid program leads to poor villagers in Indonesia receiving more of the subsidized rice they are entitled to.
J-PAL Southeast Asia Executive Director Lina Marliani shares examples from J-PAL affiliated researchers’ work to highlight how randomized evaluations can be used to inform open governance programs.
Researchers conducted a randomized evaluation with the Indonesian government that compared self-targeting to automatic screening in the context of a conditional cash transfer program. Requiring households to apply for a cash transfer program in Indonesia discouraged rich households from seeking out benefits and identified a relatively poorer group of beneficiaries.
There are 51 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 12 countries in Southeast Asia.
Di Indonesia, mengirimkan kartu ke rumah tangga dgn informasi ttg jumlah beras bersubsidi yang menjadi hak mereka m… https://t.co/a2nRwjxgha
In 2013, the findings from our collaboration w/ @tnp2k informed the GoI that providing ID cards to beneficiary hous… https://t.co/r3lJpOgcPw...
In case you missed it, J-PAL August Newsletter features recent initiatives, studies, trainings, job ads & more:… https://t.co/9T9ZLTb2av
In Yogyakarta & missed the 2019 Sadli Lecture? No worries! Pak Ben Olken will present at 2019 Mubyarto Public Polic… https://t.co/amo18x4QAQ
Super excited! Prof. Ben Olken (Econ Prof @MITEcon,...
- Don't forget to apply to the Research for Impact Fellowship by 11:59 PM IST Sunday, August 18! Apply at https://j-p.al/rfi #ResearchForImpact #CapacityBuilding #ImpactEvaluation 1 day 14 hours ago.
- We are excited to announce our new #MicroMasters course—and first ever elective course—Political Economy and Economic Development! Taught by Abhijit Banerjee and Benjamin Olken, the course explores why and how political institutions affect economic development and applies key theories and empirical techniques to real-world examples ranging from voting and corruption to the role of the media. Class starts on Sept. 3rd—register today! https://j-p.al/14750x 5 days 14 hours ago.
- Are you enrolled in a PhD program at a university in India? Do you want to learn to design and implement randomized evaluations? J-PAL/CLEAR South Asia is accepting applications for the 2nd edition of the Research for Impact Fellowship. Applications are open until 11:59 PM IST, August 18. Learn more about what previous fellow have to say about the program here: https://j-p.al/rfi #ResearchForImpact #CapacityBuilding #ImpactEvaluation 1 week 1 day ago.
- Not in Boston? Not a problem! In this remote internship, the J-PAL data publication team seeks a current MA or PhD candidate to help us make RCT data even more accessible and more broadly used. Details here: https://j-p.al/hsq 1 week 3 days ago.
- Applications for J-PAL/CLEAR South Asia’s Research for Impact Fellowship are now open! The RFI Fellowship will equip young development researchers in India with the knowledge and skills to design and implement randomized evaluations for assessing the effectiveness of social policies and programs. Apply at https://j-p.al/rfi #ResearchForImpact #CapacityBuilding #ImpactEvaluation 1 week 5 days ago.