J-PAL Africa, which is based at the University of Cape Town, supports researchers running randomized evaluations in Africa, conducts trainings to build capacity in understanding and running randomized evaluations, and works with policymakers to help them leverage rigorous evidence to make policies more effective and scale up the most promising programs. Learn more about working at J-PAL Africa.
On September 26-27, J-PAL Africa and Pratham will host a conference in Johannesburg, South Africa on Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL), an evidence-informed approach to teaching basic skills that moulds classroom instruction to a child’s learning level. Learn more and apply to attend.
J-PAL Africa and IPA Uganda are offering a five-day course on Evaluating Social Programs in Kampala, Uganda from August 6-10, 2018. The course will provide a thorough understanding of randomized evaluations and pragmatic step-by-step training on how to conduct an evaluation. Learn more and apply by June 22.
J-PAL and MIT recently announced the launch of a full master’s degree program in Data, Economics, and Development Policy that combines online learning and one semester of residential instruction at MIT. The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation will be sponsoring scholarship opportunities for seven learners from sub-Saharan Africa to attend this program.
Laura Poswell, Executive Director of J-PAL Africa, participated on a panel at USAID’s Global Innovation Week, a multi-day event to showcase ways USAID is partnering with others to achieve the greatest impact. The panel shared their experiences generating evidence and pathways through which their results informed education programs and policies around the globe, with support from USAID.
There are 274 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 28 countries in Africa.
Result #5/5: Programs seeking to reduce adolescent pregnancy should involve parents and others who have influence o… https://t.co/...
Result #4: Incentives can make a difference. Incentives like scholarships, free school uniforms, and cash transfers… https://t.co/...
Result #3: Education matters. Subsidizing school costs helps girls stay in school, which in turn encourages delays… https://t.co/...
Result #2: Programs that enhance life aspirations can lead girls and young women to delay childbearing. Adolescents… https://t.co/...
We lay out five key results in our latest policy brief on evidence-based approaches to delaying adolescent pregnanc… https://t.co/oqJiAjQ2zJ
- Looking to build your impact evaluation skills? Join us in Kampala, Uganda for our next Executive Education course, 6-10 August 2018. The course, co-hosted by Innovations for Poverty Action, provides a thorough understanding of the costs and benefits of randomized evaluations and step-by-step guidance for running your own evaluation. Check out the agenda and apply by this Friday, June 22: https://j-p.al/2KAATQQ 1 day 8 hours ago.
- Interested in learning more about how technology can improve learning - and how to evaluate its impact? Join us for a conference June 28-29 in Buenos Aires, Argentina, co-hosted by Proyecto Educar and J-PAL LAC. Register now before space runs out - https://j-p.al/2HJdIBg 1 week 8 hours ago.
- "The skills I gained from the MicroMasters program helped open doors for me to pursue new ventures and share knowledge with my colleagues and peers." Hear from Norman, a learner in the MicroMasters in Data, Economics, and Development Policy: https://j-p.al/2M7Gmzk & tag a friend who might be interested! 1 week 4 days ago.
- There's still time to register for Wednesday's panel event in London with DFID - UK Department for International Development and Innovations for Poverty Action: "New Frontiers: Policy Lessons from Randomized Evaluations in Governance, Conflict, and Corruption." More at j-p.al/2snS4hh - register now! (For those not in London, video will be posted after the event!) 2 weeks 1 day ago.
- Know a talented master's or PhD student looking to grow their data analysis skills? We're hiring paid summer interns to advance our research transparency efforts! Learn more and apply at https://j-p.al/2JeUkkt. 2 weeks 4 days ago.