J-PAL Africa, which is based at the University of Cape Town, supports researchers running randomized evaluations in Africa, conducts trainings to build capacity in understanding and running randomized evaluations, and works with policymakers to help them leverage rigorous evidence to make policies more effective and scale up the most promising programs.
Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) is an evidence-based education intervention that targets teaching to the basic skill level of the child. TaRL pioneer Pratham, together with J-PAL Africa, worked closely with the Ministry of General Education in Zambia to produce a set of videos that transport the viewer into a classroom implementing the approach.
J-PAL and MIT recently announced the launch of a full master’s degree program in Data, Economics, and Development Policy that combines online learning and one semester of residential instruction at MIT. The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation will be sponsoring scholarship opportunities for seven learners from sub-Saharan Africa to attend this program.
Laura Poswell, Executive Director of J-PAL Africa, participated on a panel at USAID’s Global Innovation Week, a multi-day event to showcase ways USAID is partnering with others to achieve the greatest impact. The panel shared their experiences generating evidence and pathways through which their results informed education programs and policies around the globe, with support from USAID.
USAID’s Development for Innovation Ventures (DIV) has announced Zambia’s Teaching at the Right Level (TARL) Programme as one of its 18 new investments. Among other partners, J-PAL, Pratham, Innovations for Poverty Action, and and UNICEF/Zambia will support the work hand in hand with the Zambian Ministry of General Education in rolling out TaRL to approximately 1,800 schools over the next three years in a rollout of TARL. Teaching at the Right Level has been proven to be effective by a series of randomized evaluations conducted by J-PAL affiliated professors.
There are 266 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 28 countries in Africa.
We're looking for a mid-career professional to join the J-PAL team at @MIT as a Training Manager, helping develop n… https://t.co/as87PhH1yn...
RT @OECD_Centre: Join us at the #...
Hot off the presses - can summer jobs for youth prevent crime and violence? New policy brief from @JPAL_NA: https://t.co/pW1Mcylhig (...
Are you a champion for #impacteval in your organization? Want to become one? Apply now for our flagship one-week Ex… https...
On the blog: @JPAL_NA's Todd Hall on bringing together policymakers and practitioners to shift cultural norms towar… https://t.co/...
- We're looking for a mid-career professional to join the J-PAL team at MIT as a Training Manager, helping develop new and creative ways to increase knowledge about impact evaluations. Know someone who would be a good fit? Please share widely! https://j-p.al/2m2oJpf 3 days 53 min ago.
- On the blog - check out J-PAL North America's Todd Hall on bringing together policymakers and practitioners to shift cultural norms toward evaluation: j-p.al/2IlAcK1. 1 week 1 day ago.
- Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) shared their event. Join us on April 4 for our next Data, Decisions, Public Policy talk! Register at https://www.povertyactionlab.org/d2p2 to attend in person at MIT or watch live online. 1 week 3 days ago.
- Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) added an event. In the next installment of our Data, Decisions, Public Policy (D2P2) lecture series, Elie Hassenfeld, Cofounder and Executive Director of Givewell, will deliver a talk entitled "Making Donor Dollars Count: GiveWell's Approach to Selecting Charities." As a nonprofit that conducts in-depth research to determine how much good a given program accomplishes per dollar spent, GiveWell is dedicated to identifying outstanding giving opportunities and publishing the full details of their analysis to help donors decide where to give. Elie will share examples of GiveWell's top charities, such as the Deworm the World Initiative and GiveDirectly, to illustrate how GiveWell's selection criteria are applied. He will also discuss strengths and weaknesses of their approach and plans for their future. 1 week 3 days ago.
- We're hiring! J-PAL Global at MIT is recruiting for a Training Associate, Research & Training Associate, Senior Policy Associate (Health), and Policy Manager (Health). See these jobs and more at j-p.al/2FicD73. 2 weeks 1 day ago.