The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL)
J-PAL and MIT recently announced the launch of a full master’s degree program in Data, Economics, and Development Policy that combines online learning and one semester of residential instruction at MIT. The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation will be sponsoring scholarship opportunities for seven learners from sub-Saharan Africa to attend this program.
Distributing water cisterns in northeast Brazil led to fewer requests for private benefits from local politicians and fewer votes for incumbent mayors, who typically have more resources to engage in clientelism. Marco Gonzalez-Navarro and J-PAL's Latin America & Caribbean office are now working with the Climate Policy Initiative to support the Ministry of Social Development to design and implement an evaluation of the second deployment of cisterns.
Increasing migration has placed unprecedented demands on local food systems. Coupled with climate change, which continues to alter rain patterns and agricultural production, these global challenges are expected to exacerbate food insecurity in the coming century.
Watch the full video from J-PAL affiliate Marianne Bertrand's lecture on the ways in which the lives and attitudes of the rich and poor in the United States have and have not diverged from the 1960s to the 2010s. Register for the next lecture in the Data, Decisions, Public Policy series on December 8 with Pascaline Dupas.
885 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 80 countries
Pleased to be partnering with .@AUC in Egypt to offer a "blended" online and in-person master's with our...
When govts decide to use #data and...
Increasing the use of data and evidence in real-world policy: https://t.co/03aYE7sSnn
Meet J-PAL's new Executive Director, @iqbaldhali: https://t.co/JgYBxOr5BN https://t.co/RsrYk9WlE9...
At J-PAL, we apply rigorous research and #innovation to answer critical questions in the fight against...
- Attention Spanish-speaking social innovators in Lima, Peru! J-PAL LAC, Innovations for Poverty Action, and Universidad Pacifico are hosting an introductory workshop on evaluation on March 8 and 9, 2018. Don't miss out on the opportunity to learn techniques used in evaluations and impact measurement of projects related to social innovation and CSR/sustainability for your organizations! More info at https://j-p.al/2Dzgyvq. 1 hour 39 min ago.
- Pleased to be partnering with AUC in Egypt to offer a "blended" online and in-person master's with our @MITxonedX MicroMasters in Data, Economics, and Development Policy: http://www.aucegypt.edu/news/stories/auc-offers-first-blended-degree-region-pairs-mit 9 hours 52 min ago.
- Increasing the use of data and evidence in real-world policy: https://j-p.al/2rdcKua 23 hours 35 min ago.
- In 2017, more than 5,700 students enrolled in the inaugural Portuguese-language edition of our flagship online impact evaluation course, Evaluating Social Programs (Avaliação de Impacto de Programas e Políticas Sociais). What's next? Read our latest post: j-p.al/2EQQAjh 4 days 9 hours ago.
- New blog post: Using a massive open online course (MOOC) to build a culture of evidence in Brazil: j-p.al/2EQQAjh 5 days 1 hour ago.