The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL)
Can facilitating relationships between small- and medium-sized businesses help them grow? In Jiangxi Province, China, researchers conducted a randomized evaluation to study the impact of business relationships on firm performance. Monthly meetings among firms increased sales, profits, and other business outcomes, mainly by facilitating learning and partnership development.
At J-PAL, we often talk about the importance of using evidence to design and implement effective policies and programs, and many governments are working to make it a priority. But what does this look like in practice? How can we best support governments in finding and applying the evidence they need to make informed decisions?
Iqbal Dhaliwal is the new executive director of J-PAL, succeeding Rachel Glennerster, who has joined DFID as its chief economist. Earlier Iqbal was deputy executive director, and prior to that, founding director of J-PAL's policy group. Learn more about Iqbal's background and vision for J-PAL's future in our Q&A.
Although coverage rates and health outcomes are improving, many poor people around the world still do not benefit from essential health products. What factors limit the flow of products from the producer’s laboratory bench to the end users, and what can be done about it?
902 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations in 79 countries
New video - @GiveWell co-founder Elie Hassenfeld on...
New: Six rules of thumb for determining RCT sample size and statistical power, from @JPAL_NA: https://t.co/xUaYxaT8V8 (PDF)
Can summer jobs for youth help reduce crime? See research from Chicago and NYC: https://t.co/QgnkFmpBko @JPAL_NA
RT @EPoDHarvard: Rohini Pande & @...
We're hiring a Policy and Research Associate to work with our Executive Director at our Global office in Boston. Kn… https://t.co/x7HJROCOIA
- We're hiring a Policy and Research Associate to work with our Executive Director at our Global office in Boston. Know any talented recent grads? Please share! More info at j-p.al/2voy8OZ. 4 days 2 hours ago.
- Are you designing or implementing a youth employment program in Latin America? Learn how to use impact evaluations to test and improve program effectiveness in our new Spanish-language incubator course in Santiago: https://j-p.al/2v8L6Aw. 1 week 2 days ago.
- Ed tech competition, research on summer jobs and crime, and more. Catch up on the latest J-PAL newsletter: j-p.al/2HgyGcg 2 weeks 1 day ago.
- Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) shared their live video. Starting now: GiveWell's Elie Hassenfeld on making donor dollars count - watch via Facebook Live below! 2 weeks 4 days ago.
- Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) was live. Making Donor Dollars Count: GiveWell's Approach to Selecting Charities: As a nonprofit that conducts in-depth research to determine how much good a given program accomplishes (e.g. lives improved) per dollar spent, GiveWell is dedicated to identifying outstanding giving opportunities and publishing the full details of their analysis to help donors decide where to give. 2 weeks 4 days ago.