Research Manager - Environment Portfolio
LOCATION: New Delhi
START DATE: ASAP
LENGTH OF COMMITMENT: Two years
EXPERIENCE: 3 years in a related role and sector
ORGANIZATION: J-PAL South Asia at IFMR
J-PAL South Asia at the Institute for Financial Management and Research seeks qualified applicants for the position of Research Manager to manage our growing portfolio of Energy and Environment projects, across the country. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand research management experience, including field operations and interaction with Centre and State officials, in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research:
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of 2-3 active and on-going research projects providing support to the project teams that comprises of Research Associates, project associate and other field staff.
- Travel to project locations to work with the RA and project teams and provide direct oversight.
- Work closely with the project team and support functions to ensure smooth functioning and ensure that projects adhere to policies, procedure, and timelines.
- Analyze and clean primary and secondary data from surveys and administrative databases.
- Actively liaise with governmental and non governmental partners to update them and ensure that they are on-board with the RCT study design.
- Foresee and highlight any threats to RCT study design to primary investigators as required.
- Assist with identifying possible research questions, and design surveys and data collection activities accordingly.
- Support the project team in preparing progress reports to the donors and funding agencies. Be the point person to communicate with the Grants Manager on any funding/grants related issue.
- Keep a watch over the budget and the financial health of the project, and collaborate with the Finance team to provide inputs for accurate budgeting, and cash flow calculations
- Ensure the adherence to JPAL SA's guidelines on research compliance, data security and people's safety.
- Help to recruit for Research Associates, as needed. Oversee their hiring and on-boarding in close coordination with HR and Administrative team.
- Mentor the team of research associates in their personal and professional development; help maintain adequate work-life balance, train associates to better their technical and leadership skills.
- Apprise Principal Investigators on the progress of the project on a regular basis
- Apprise the Associate Director (Research), Associate Director (Finance) on the progress and development of the project. At times, work along with Associate Director (Policy) on policy outreach activities or Policy Team on new project development.
- Support JPAL SA in creating and managing institutional knowledge. Provide additional support to streamline systems and processes.
- Take an active role in capacity development, training and presenting as and when required.
- Represent J-PAL in meetings and conferences and liaising with academics, officials, policymakers, donors and partner organizations.
- Any other work as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Education: Master’s degree in economics, public policy/administration, engineering, or environmental sciences. Strong coursework in economics is highly preferable,
- Understanding Randomized Evaluations and technical skills: Demonstrating a good basic understanding of the value of randomized evaluations and their usefulness for policy decisions is valuable but not required. Knowledge of Stata is required, SAS, or other data analysis software is an advantage;
- Interest in development and energy policy
- Experience: This position requires demonstrated management experience in a multi-faceted role, dealing with multitude of stakeholders. Experience working in the environment or energy sector and knowledge of the Indian government context is a huge plus.
- Management: Proven ability to handle several different projects/tasks at one time, successfully complete tasks assigned, and meeting deadlines. A willingness to work hard, be self-motivated and learn will be essential for doing well in this position. Experience in managing teams and interacting with institutional partners strongly desired.
- Ability to present and negotiate with senior members a plus and proven experience in managing high level partnerships.
- Communication: Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills for communicating with multiple partners. This requires clear, precise, non-technical writing, and creativity in presentation.
- Travel: Travel to different parts of India to meet with relevant stakeholders.
We are looking for a minimum commitment period of two years for this position with a strong possibility for a longer term position for exceptional candidates.
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application here. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Title – Office or Project”. Applications require you to include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts. Note that you are able to submit your application without the recommendation letters.
However, please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.
Additionally, please submit the following documents in PDF format to Rashi Saberwal (firstname.lastname@example.org) cc’ing Sakshi.email@example.com as soon as possible – applications will considered on a rolling (1) a cover letter clearly addressing your qualifications for the various responsibilities listed above, (2) Curriculum Vitae (Resume), and (3) transcripts of your undergraduate and graduate courses (including course names and grades).
In the subject line: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name.
In the email body: Copy exactly the following position line:
J-PAL South Asia, Research Manager (Energy and Environment)
Please do not include any text besides the position line(s) in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.